Thursday, January 12, 2006

I am my husband´s wife . . .

Yes, because today I walked all over the city to avoid taking a cab! ;)

As Tim again had class this morning, I wanted to find this ¨New York Bagel¨ place that the tour book desribed as a haven for americans with real milk and good bagels. Well, I walked there (about a 25-30 min walk) and enjoyed it, but it was not all that it was cracked up to be. I mean, come on, no strawberry cream cheese!?! But I sat outdoors, enjoyed the sun and my sesame and plain cream cheese bagel, and read the entertainment section of a Chilean newspaper (all Spanish) which had mostly U.S. ¨gossip¨. (Brangelina are pregnant! Yuck!)

Then I walked (plus a short cab because I wasn´t sure about the neighborhood) to the Pueblitos Dominicos, a huge artisian crafts place with weavings, carvings, jewelery, pottery, lots of handmade things. It was fun to browse, bought a couple of things. Their big thing here is Lapis Lazuli, a blue stone that is very common here and thus is relatively inexpensive.

To avoid the cab, I walked all the way back - about 50 min - an hour. The walking all was actually nice to see these parts of the city.

In the afternoon, Tim and I decided to see the movie Elizabethtown, here billed as Todo Suecede en Elizabethtown (something like everyone succeeds in . . . ). We had to go to another huge mall, about a 45 min- one hour walk, continuing my theme for the day. Pretty good movie, shown in English with Spanish subtitulos. The character Jessie (Orlando Bloom´s cousin) was played by Paul Schneider, a guy Tim went to school with - cool!

Then, of course, we walked back - and by this time we had worked up a big appetite for our Thursday night pizza (our tradition). Found a good one very close to home. The pizza is really great here!

Continuing the movie theme of the day, they were playing Walk the Line on a huge outdoor screen in the park in front of our building, which we could sort of see and hear from our apartment. It was called ¨Johnny and June: Pasion y Locura (Passion and Madness)¨ Guess Walk the Line doesn´t translate well!

No comments: